Curiously enough, within the translation industry, Project Managers (PMs) play a key role in the work and process of translators. In this blog, we will learn what a translation Project Manager does and how their role impacts the quality and productivity of the translation process. We will also look at the importance of their communication with clients, risk management, project planning, resource allocation, and budgeting. So let’s start by looking at what a Project Manager’s job is all about:
What does a Project Manager do?
The Project Manager, as the name implies, is in charge of organizing all translation projects for clients or companies. This is why their function is vital when it comes to carrying them out in a simple manner and with as few problems as possible.
Project managers, then, are intermediaries between clients and translators as projects are carried out. Their role involves understanding the needs and demands of users and ensuring that these can be met. To this end, they are responsible for creating a series of tasks with a set deadline for translators and proofreaders who specialize in the subject matter in question.
Their work is not minor as it involves gathering content, monitoring its consistency and tone, and finding creative solutions such as creating Translation Memories, a glossary of terms, or the internationalization of the client’s website.
What is the impact of a Project Manager’s work?
One of the most important qualities of Project Managers is their effectiveness in communication. This implies that PMs have a direct and dynamic language with the various clients and team members. As well as their focus on how to respond to authority with constructive knowledge.
In the translation industry, a Project Manager has the openness to work with multicultural teams and a special talent for dealing with local and international audiences. This entails Project Managers having an intimate understanding of their team members and clients and knowing how to bridge any communication gaps that may exist between them.
Last but not least, Project Managers make an impact due to their ability to act as “smoke detectors” as they can perceive early signs of potential obstacles that may affect projects in different ways, whether it be budget or deadlines. It is this human factor that makes PMs an invaluable part of the success of translation projects.
What are the steps involved in the project management process?
We have already learned what a Project Manager’s job consists of and how their work plays a fundamental role in the development of translation processes. But what is the step-by-step nature of their tasks? Let’s take a look at it:
- Making sure that all the client’s instructions are clear: the start of the project is the right time to raise any questions that are expected to affect the overall management of the project.
- Reviewing the document and establishing whether any file preparation, text extraction, or desktop publishing is required.
- Performing adequate project planning to meet deadlines and client expectations.
- Assigning a team of linguists who know the tools and subject matter expertise required for that specific type of content. Maintaining that team on that account and content type throughout.
- Having the head of languages review the content, style guide, and glossaries, and define criteria when necessary.
- Getting the team involved: holding a project kick-off meeting and sharing any relevant information about the client and reference material.
- Establishing a clear consultation system with the language team.
Why an excellent team of Project Managers matters
When selecting a translation services company, clients should inquire about who the Project Managers are, as it is these team members who will be the primary means of contact between the company and the translators from the beginning to the end of their project.
At Win & Winnow, we make sure that the Project Managers who join our team meet exhaustive quality criteria. That’s why we are glad to have excellent professionals in the field to provide you with the best language solutions. If you are interested in this role and would like to know more about our services, do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here, once we receive your message we will contact you as soon as possible!